Has father time been unkind to the appearance of your skin? Have you wondered how you might be able to restore that youthful glow? Well look no further! Here are the 6 key steps to effective anti-aging skincare for clear, healthy skin. If you are like most people, you may be confused by the variety of over the counter products being advertised. If you are in your 20’s and early 30’s with little damage then over the counter products in the classes listed below will work just fine for you.
If you are in your late 30’s and beyond, then medically directed prescription strength skin care will be needed to effectively correct the signs of aging that commonly affect skin.
- Prevention by avoiding sun, stress and smoking go a long way to prevent aging of the skin. These insults break down the stretchy Elastin fibers in the skin, damage your cellular DNA, and compromise your immune system. This leads to aged skin and a higher risk of skin cancer.
- Broad spectrum sunscreens with an SPF of 30 or more applied every 3-4 hours when in direct sun, hats and avoiding tobacco products are three simple steps to prevention.
- Alpha-hydroxyl acids are fruit acids that effectively exfoliate the skin without scrubbing and increase moisture in the skin through glycol-protein production.
- Clarifiers are gentle bleaching agents such as Kojic acid, Arbutase and Hydroquinone which help to clear up unwanted pigment and keep it from returning.
- Retinoids are Vitamin A derivatives such as over the counter Retinol and prescription strength Retin-A which increase cell turnover and boosts collagen production. Additionally, it suppresses acne and is considered the most effective anti-aging skin care product.
- Anti-oxidants such as topical Vitamin C protects the skin against free radical production, boosts collagen production and gives the skin a healthy glow.
If you care about the appearance of your skin, these six simple steps can help you to keep your skin clear, healthy and youthful. If started early enough, these proactive strategies are effective in reducing the visible signs of aging without having to resort to other more costly treatments such as lasers, injectables and neuromodulators, or skin tightening cosmetic surgical procedures.
Robert F. Centeno M.D., F.A.C.S., Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Bitar Cosmetic Surgery Institute, Fairfax & Manassas, VA